Sunday, March 31, 2013

Know Your Woods

     Have you ever wondered where the woods of your guitar came from? What the trees look like before they were harvested?

     During some downtime in band practice last week, these were the questions on my mind. I did not have any concrete answers, and because I’m a guitar-geek I was surprised that I didn’t. So in the spirit of this blog I set out to discover where these woods came from, and what exactly the trees looked like.

     Here is a brief slide show of photos to share what I’ve learned; the guitar I was playing last week turned out to be the perfect starting point. It is made from mahogany, maple, and ebony—a popular combination in electric guitars.

     Embedded in the slides are hyperlinks that take you to videos for more information. Much of what appears in the slides is basic & straightforward, yet I never knew it before this project. It also provides a good starting point before going deeper into the issues surrounding logging, and guitar production.

Note: Its best viewed in full screen~

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment