Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Book Review; Zen Guitar


     “There is a zen saying, ‘Paths cannot be taught, they can only be taken.
 So it is with Zen Guitar” pg16 ~P.T. Sudo

I chose Philip Toshio Sudo’s book as part of the project because I wanted to include a guitar centric reading on music that would apply to as many people as possible—from beginner, to expert. The author describes the book as an alternative to the conventional how-to program of instruction; perfect! I love being different. “There are no chords or tunings or music theory in this dojo; you won’t find lessons on how to read music, play the blues, fingerpick or copy “Stairway to Heaven” pg16. That is only information, and can be found by a student online, in videos, or in other books. 

Rather than information, Zen Guitar aims to provide wisdom. Sudo explains it like this, “The idea here is to train and to experience; it is only though the experience of our senses that we truly gain wisdom.” Describing the difference, he compares learning to make music, with learning to ride a bicycle. Having myself learned, failed, and succeeded at both endeavors, I find the comparison quite appropriate. A person cannot be told how to ride, they have to mount up, wobble, crash, and try again-- “...direct experience of our bodies.” And so it is with learning to express that sound, song, music that exists in each of us.  

The reader is taken through five stages of Zen Guitar-- a circle from white belt to black, black to white. Sudo encourages readers to think of the stages as broadly as possible. The book is divided into five corresponding sections: Beginner’s Mind, Practice, Responsibility, Barrier, The Way of Zen Guitar.

My favorite section of the book was that called The Beginners Mind. It is a mindset required through every stage of the circle. It is about being open to new ways of thinking, and accepting that you don’t know it all, you can never know it all. The Beginners Mind opens with one from Jimi Hendrix; “My own thing is in my head. I hear sounds and if I don’t get them together nobody else will.” I caught two pieces of wisdom here (of the many possibilities):
1- we each have a sound, or music within us
2- we have to get them together our own way

The thought that we have music in us is not a breakthrough discovery. I heard Boogie Chillen on the radio when I was a kid, and learned this truth from John Lee Hooker:

"One night I was layin’ down,
I heard mama ‘n papa talkin’
I heard papa tell mama,
let that boy boogie-woogie,
It’s in him, and its got to come out"


So, we have this sound within us, how do we get it out? “… if I don’t get them together nobody else will.” It is up to each person to learn what works for them. What works for one person, doesn’t necessary will work for the next. Some pick up a guitar, others express it through drums, a piano or even just singing; we have a sound within us that we are determined express. The path of expression for me is through an electric guitar and amplifier. Once you find your path, its time to really dig in with everything you have to find your sound. There is a quote on page 79 from Carlos Santa that says it best, “If [you’re] going to sweep the floor, sweep it better than anybody in town. And if your going to play the guitar, really, really, really get in it, and don’t be jivin’.” 
As with anything of value, much work is required. When you are reaching for something only you understand, discouragement, and self-doubt will surely become obstacles. Zen Guitar does a wonderful job of addressing how to handle both. Sudo writes, “Patience and concentration will be vital attributes as you move along the path. Combat discouragement with your desire to learn” pg30. 

Self-doubt is such a common barrier, it earned its own chapter which opens with a quote from Neil Young; “I like to play with people who can play simple and are not threatened by other musicians thinking they can’t play. And that eliminates 99 percent of the musicians.” This quote has been a huge encouragement to me. I often play with musicians whose talent far exceeds mine. After reading Zen Guitar, I’ve learned to accept and be at peace with my own path, rather than envying that of others; “The Way of Zen Guitar is to play what you are meant to play, not necessarily what you want to play” pg73. 

You have to be true to yourself, by playing to the sound that is in you. I enjoy Eddie Van Halen, but I don’t want to copy him; doing so would be denying who I am. What if Carlos Santana dedicated himself to sounding like Eric Clapton? We would miss out on the incredible music within Santana, and instead have Clapton, and that other guy who wants to be Clapton

Sudo’s remedy for self-doubt is to remember this; “One can play the greatest stages in the world and still be spiritually adrift; talent alone does not bring inner peace. If you work to find peace within yourself, you will have no self-doubt about your music, your talent, or anything else” pg73.


I keep a reading log for each book I read. This is where I write down any ideas that come to mind, or passages I find intriguing. My reading log for Zen Guitar is filled with quotes, and wisdom that I will be referencing for years to come. To summarize the book would be truly unfair, as it contains wisdom that each reader will relate to differently, and on a personal level. What I will say in summary is Zen Guitar has helped me better recognize the path to finding my sound, and my approach to making music. 

“Once you learn the principles of Zen Guitar, you can apply them to any endeavor outside music. Follow the samurai maxim that says, ‘From one thing, know ten thousand things.’ Music can teach you everything you need to know” pg20.  

No comments:

Post a Comment