Friday, August 9, 2013

Pick Up Your Guitar; "All Carvin Guitar Epic" Video

Me and my trusty Carvin DC127C
"Don't pick up your guitar aimlessly. Act with a sense of purpose. Be of the mind that you're going to DO something-- even if you don't know what that is yet. Prepare yourself to play... Remember, the guitar is an instrument-- a thing by means of which something is done. Keep this in mind every time you reach for it. When you pick it up, pick it up." ~Philip Sudo, Zen Guitar.

We all get stuck in ruts, or hang out too long in our comfort zone. This is where I've been in my playing lately; happily grooving away playing rhythm guitar with the occasional fills and riffs. 

That is until a friend on my favorite guitar forum put a call out for participants in a new group project he was crafting. Since he made it a point to invite players of all skills and styles, I decided to jump in. Each player was to submit two or three solos that would later be combined into a song-- and in this particular project, the song would be part of a superhero themed video
My recording studio; Zoom G3, Sequel LE, MacBook,
Carvin guitars & Carvin powered 12" monitor

All of the players in this project were well practiced in writing blistering solos... all except me, that is. Time to break out of my comfort zone, and push my skills. Armed with my guitar, laptop, Zoom G3 effects & amp simulator as my USB audio interface, and the Sequel LE DAW included with the G3, I spent the next week picking up my guitar with a purpose-- to write & record original solos. 

Our leader, "X-Mann," reflected on the project after it was completed; "The team is what makes this song SO great too... It's funny that I've never met or played with any of these Carvin players, we were NEVER in the same room together & ALL come from different locations, backgrounds & playing styles... yet... we sound like we all got to gether one after the other & laid these tracks down with our cool Carvin guitars... but we didn't!" 


Working on this project was challenging, rewarding, and a lot of fun! Using the recording software to practice, and craft these solos was very helpful, and a major reason I enjoyed the process. Just as major league baseball players watch film to improve their skills, using the recording software allowed me to listen to what I was playing and identify what was sounding good... and what wasn't

I encourage you to participate in your own "on-line jam" as they are becoming more common with the affordability and ease of use of basic recording software. Of course, nothing beats playing in a live situation, but these on-line projects will help you grow as a player, and learn new skills.


"It doesn't matter what style you play in at all... recording yourself & your own tunes can really develop your guitar playing in a great & musical way." ~X-Mann


Check out the video, keep an eye out for Randy-- a.k.a. Rip Curl, and share the video with your friends, and...

Stay tuned, and in-tune!

No comments:

Post a Comment